One of the best things you can do to ensure your child maintains optimal oral health as they develop into adolescence and adulthood is by helping them form excellent oral hygiene habits as early as possible. This begins by not only establishing regular oral hygiene routines and visiting the dentist for check-ups, but also by giving them the education they will need for the prevention of problems that can ultimately affect their dental health in the long-term.
Here are some basic tips on preventing childhood cavities and developing standard regimens that can help keep your child’s teeth and gums in good shape now and into the future:
- Make sure they establish good brushing and flossing habits early in childhood. This means brushing a minimum of twice each day and once a day for flossing. These daily routines offer some of the best and most effective ways of staving off cavities and gum disease throughout childhood.
- Minimize your child’s intake of foods and beverages that contain high levels of starch, sugar, and carbohydrates. Plaque can often develop at an increased rate due to these types of foods and drinks, and that can heighten the chance of developing cavities. Eating a healthy and nutritious diet that includes fruits, grains, vegetables, lean-protein foods, and dairy products—not to mention drinking plenty of water—can be ideal for a child’s oral health.
- Visit the dentist at least twice every year. A regular dental exam and professional teeth cleaning can identify any issues early and clean areas that can be challenging to reach with a standard toothbrush.
- Consider dental sealants. A popular treatment for children, dental sealants offer a layer of protection for the back teeth, which is an area that is particularly vulnerable to bacteria and decay.
- Be sure they have their fluoride treatments. Topical fluoride treatments can help strengthen the teeth and protect them from decay. These are quick and painless treatments that can be done during your child’s routine dental cleanings.
Dr. Michael Fulbright offers a full range of family dental care options, and our team is committed to providing children with the best possible experience here at our practice. If you have questions, or if you would like to schedule a dental exam for your child, please contact us today.